JUSTA, in collaboration with Mystical Yoga Farm, is dedicated to improving educational opportunities, promoting alternative education methods as well as healthy living, bodies, and minds in the community of San Antonio Chacaya, a predominantly coffee-farming indigenous Mayan village where Tz’utujil is spoken, in Lake Atitlán, Solola, Guatemala.
Together, we support the Chacaya Middle School and the community of Chacaya in their endeavors for a better education and a better future for their children.
As with everything we do, our approach is multi-faceted and holistic:
- We carry out fundraising and donation campaigns in order to offer yearly scholarships to youngsters who could otherwise not afford to go to school, increasing the number of school attendees within the community.
- We offer a variety of nutritional, environmental, social, personal development and wellness workshops for students, as well as regular meditation and yoga classes on the grounds of Mystical Yoga Farm.
- We also support the school with ongoing teacher training sessions in order to move the school’s practice forward and provide professional development opportunities to the school staff.
- We coordinate various volunteering programs and exchanges with those willing to lend a hand or their expertise to the community of Chacaya.
- Finally, we are intending to provide students with access to medical checkups and advice during the coming year.
Checkout this awesome video featuring a day at the farm with children from Chacaya:
The Sponsorship Program
Schooling in Guatemala and the community of San Antonio Chacaya
Secondary school enrolment rates in Guatemala are low, particularly in rural areas. At around the age of 11, children transition into secondary school. Sadly, most families in Chacaya cannot afford the 400Q (about $55) to send their children to secondary school and cover the additional school-related expenses of about Q200 ($30) a year.
The school of Chacaya has reported approximately 300 students not enrolled in school. At this age, most children start working to increase their family’s income.
JUSTA together with Mystical Yoga Farm are focused on creating sustainable solutions to help more children gain access to education each year. The Scholarship Program provides tuition fees, transportation costs, uniforms and school supplies for secondary schooling.
How you can get involved:
Only $55 can provide for one child’s tuition fees for the whole year! With an additional $30 a year per child, we can also help families cover school-related expenses (transportation, uniform, gym clothes, shoes, backpacks and other school supplies), which are also cost-prohibitive for many families.
So if you wish to help, you can chose to:
- Donate $85 and sponsor a child’s education for one whole year, including all school-related expenses and supplies,
- Donate $55 to cover one child’s tuition fees for the year,
- Or donate an amount of your choice to support our program in general.
To contribute to our program and make a difference to a child’s life, send $85 to firstname.lastname@example.org via Paypal! Every dollar counts!!
If for some reason the button doesn’t work for you, click the button below, enter email@example.com as the pay to email, enter $85 or more and donate! Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.